Going vegan for weight loss, health benefits or to generally avoid meat, dairy and eggs? This blog has a meal plan alongside nutritional advice for everyone! Read below and get vegan savvy today
For the animals
Avoiding animal products is one of the most obvious ways you can take a stand against animal cruelty and animal exploitation everywhere.
For your health
Vegan diets not only follow healthy eating guidelines, and contain all the nutrients that our bodies need. Research has linked vegan diets with lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and lower rates of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer. Getting your nutrients from plant foods allows more room in your diet for health-promoting options like whole grains, fruits, nuts, seeds and vegetables, which are packed full of beneficial fibre, vitamins and minerals.
For the environment
We all recycle our household rubbish, cycle to work and turn off the taps when brushing our teeth to be that much closer to the greener life! One of the most effective things an individual can do to lower their carbon footprint is to avoid all animal products.
- Include dark green leafy vegetables (kale, spinach, spring greens, watercress, rocket, pak choi) in them each day.
- Choose plant milk, cereal, spread and soya yoghurt that are fortified with vitamin B12, calcium and vitamin D.
- Eat at least one serving of linseed (flaxseed), walnuts or chia seeds every day to keep omega-3 fats high. One way to do this is to add them to a daily green smoothie made with fortified plant milk.
Below are some ideas inspired by the BBC Good Food website:
- Mexican beans & avocado on toast
- Vegan tomato & mushroom pancakes
- Bulgar wheat with carrots & hazelnuts
- Pearled Spelt salad with peas & gooseberries
- Chickpea, tomato & spinach curry
- Vegetable tagine with chickpeas & raisins
- Almond, raisin & popcorn trail mix
- Apricot & seed protein bar
A qualified nutritionist can help you create a diet plan that works for your lifestyle and ensure you are getting all the necessary nutrients such as iron, vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids to ensure that you are on the right track.
Take advantage of our 15-minute sessions with a Nutritionist or Functional Medicine Practitioner.
Simply book in using our contact form below.